We offer 24/7 emergency repair service for air conditioning when our customers need it. We understand that when the temperature rises, it’s vital to keep your home cool—especially if there are elderly people or young children indoors. When an air conditioner suddenly ceases working, or it won’t blow out cool air, it’s has to be repaired as fast as possible.
However, there’s no way to have instantaneous repairs. While you’re waiting for technicians to reach you and solve the air conditioning issue, you can take some steps to keep cooled down:
- Ice cubes and a fan: Here’s a way to rig up a makeshift evaporative air conditioner. Take ice cubes from the freezer and place them in a bowl. Place the bowl in front of an electric fan. The air from the fan will lose heat through evaporation, and result in a cool breeze that can temporarily chill out places of the house that need it the most.
- Hang wet sheets over open windows: This is an air conditioning trick that goes back to the Bronze Age, when people hung wet reeds over their windows. It’s good to have a breeze through the house, and even better when the breeze is cooled down because of losing heat to the water in the sheets.
- Keep blinds closed: The south and west-facing windows of your home will allow in large amounts of radiant heat, but you can reduce this by keeping blinds (or shutters) closed.
- Lower the amount of lights: Incandescent and CFL lights produce heat, so keep as many lights switched off as you can.
- Drink plenty of cold drinks: Keeping cool is as much about keeping your body cool as the air around it cool. Have plenty of cold drinks (another use for ice cubes!) ready for when you need them.
- Take a shower or bath: A lukewarm shower or bath will help lower body temperatures, and it also removes layers of grime and sweat that make it harder to stay cool.
Call Oasis Heating, A/C & Refrigeration for emergency air conditioning repair in Burke, VA.